Visit London's Regency Café - A Review

2018. Twenty Eighteen.

It's unbelievable that it has been almost a year since my graduation trip to the UK in March 2017... With life trudging by slowly, 24 hours a day, its inconceivable how the past 7200 hours went by so quickly that one can't help but feel a sense of loss/sadness. A quick search on google tells me that what i'm feeling is known as Mono no aware (物の哀れ) - A Japanese expression for melancholic appreciation of the transiency of existence.

It is however, no accident or surprise to me that melancholy kicks in while reminiscing the better days passed.  Don't we all find that it's easier to reminisce on the good memories rather than the bad?


The digital camera is a great invention because 

it allows us to reminisce. Instantly. 

-- Demetri Martin



Going back to the story on my UK trip, I did some googling and research prior to travelling to note down places in London that are highly recommended for their breakfast. I found Regency Café on a few of the YouTube videos that I was watching and decided to have it on the priority list.

The place wasn't difficult to find with the help of GPS and Google Maps. We took the tube (Circle Line) from Paddington Station to St James Park Station and walked for approximately 10 mins to reach the café.


Here we are!
I am so in love the charming looking exterior. 

Google Maps to the rescue! 

When we arrived at approximately 8AM that day (it was a Saturday), a queue had formed in the shop, which was getting longer with time. Established in 1946, the first thing that you would probably note upon entering the café is the olde worlde interior - the tiled walls, checkered curtains and laminated tables brings about a cozy and homely feeling.

What you might also notice is the interesting business model. So basically, you order, you sit down, and collect your meal when its ready. It's a fuss-free system that ensures a seat for customers receiving their meals.



Old-school black board menu.

To be honest, it definitely not the cheapest breakfast that I have ever had... But considering that its downtown London, I do feel that this place offers excellent value for extremely decent food. My parents, along with my better half and I, had ordered 3 set breakfasts, and an Eggs Benedict.


The regular, breakfast set.

The bacon was delicious (I like how it wasn't salted), and the eggs cooked perfectly. I wasn't a fan of the sausage - it's probably just me - as they weren't the crispy type. I'd say that the texture of the sausage was closer to a long version of minced meat. OH. And for the first time, we got to taste the famous Black Pudding - a blood sausage commonly eaten in Great Britain, Ireland and Europe - for 90 cents.

If you'd ask me, Black Pudding has sort of a grainy texture, thanks to the oat content. It's chewy, and heavy, almost like a meat version of a dense brownie. For first-time (Asian) consumers like us; we had largely varied responses to this unique dish. My parents weren't so keen on the dish, lamenting that the gamy flavour was not to their liking. I personally found it okay... though I wouldn't voluntarily pay additional dollar for it. My other half however found it very enjoyable and even contemplated buying a second serving. 🤷


See the dark looking patties on the plate? That's Black Pudding.

Eggs Benedict!

Overall, I have to say that this is really a great place to have a good British breakfast. Especially for tourists like us, who are looking for a one-stop, fuss-free, and authentic experience. Do consider visiting this place yourself if you are in town! ☺️


Regency Café

Expected Damage: £6 +

Address:
17-19 Regency St, Westminster, London SW1P 4BY, UK
(Closest Stations: St James Park / Pimlico)

Opening Hours:
Mon – Friday: 7:00 – 14:30,  16:00 – 19:15
Sat: 7:00 – 12:00
Sun: closed


xoxo,
meixii

Comments

  1. That looks like such a great breakfast! Sounds like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Carrie!

      It was great considering that it's my first time stepping into the UK. Lovely flavours, sights and sounds! Have you been to the UK yourself?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!
I really love hearing from you :)